The 111-acre park in the East Shakopee Industrial area contains a quarry lake used by the Shakopee-Prior Lake Water Ski Association.
The park, located at 6201 Innovation Blvd., is currently open to the public with Phase I construction completed in November 2016.
Fishing at Quarry Lake
Fishing is allowed from the dock in the northwest corner of the lake or from shore. A trout stamp is required only if you are targeting and keeping trout. An angling license is required for all fishing.
In 2016, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources stocked the lake with 15,000 rainbow trout and 1,500 brook trout. In 2017, the DNR stocked an additional 12,000 rainbow trout.
Motorized boat use on the lake is restricted to the Shakopee Prior Lake Water Ski Association and Shakopee Fire Department.
- Winter trout-in-lake season runs Jan. 13 through April 1.
- Anglers need a special trout stamp with their fishing license to fish designated trout streams and trout lakes. The stamp can be purchased at a DNR license center, online or by phone.
- No motorized vehicles are allowed on the lake or trails. Anglers must enter the lake on foot from the designated trail in the park's northwest parking lot.
- Parking is allowed only in the parking lot or on Innovation Boulevard.
- Because the lake is spring-fed, the ice may not be consistent. Therefore, anglers should check for ice safety as they proceed onto the lake.
The city has approved a concept plan for the park. The completed park is expected to contain a 2-mile trail loop, 1-mile of soft surface trails, trail connections to County Highway 101 and the Minnesota Valley State Trail, picnic shelters, fishing piers and a playground.
The park project is broken down into three packages: pedestrian bridge, site work and building.
The pedestrian bridge, which connects the park to area trails, was completed in spring 2016.
The site work was divided into two phases. Phase I was completed in November 2016 and included site development.
Phase II work includes trails around the lake and to the south of the park (approximately 3 miles total).
The City Council has supported designing a community building that would be available for rentals by individuals and groups for weddings, corporate functions, large special events, etc. The proposed building would include a large meeting room that will accommodate 169+ people seated at round table (250+ theater style), a catering kitchen, small meeting room, interior bathrooms for the shelter users and exterior bathrooms for the park users. The estimated cost of the community building is $2.3 million.
It is anticipated that the construction of the Community Building will be Phase III of the park development. Phase II and Phase III will be completed as park dedication funding is collected.
Quarry Lake Water Use
At this time the water is exclusively used by the Shakopee-Prior Lake Water Ski Association and is not open to the public. Future use of the water by the public may include non-motorized boat usage in designated areas and winter ice fishing opportunities.