The city takes pride in maintaining and enhancing the city’s park system for the residents of Shakopee. Amenities are being added and new parks are being built.
- 2020 Trail Improvements
- 12th Avenue Trail Addition
- Holmes Park Playground Replacement
- Memorial Park Bridge
- Quarry Lake Park
- Ridge Creek Park
- Stagecoach Road Neighborhood Park
- Jennifer Lane Neighborhood Park
- Scenic Heights Park Improvements
- Sweeney's Marina
- Vierling Greenway
- Windermere Parks and Trails
The city will be replacing the playground equipment at Holmes Park in summer 2020. The main structure was installed in the late 1980s with the smaller structure added in 2001. The 2020-24 Capital Improvement Plan includes complete replacement of the play structure and surface material to maintain ADA compliance, user safety and availability of components and parts. The swing set will remain in the playground and will not be replaced. At its May 19 meeting, the City Council approved the purchase of playground equipment in the amount of $79,200 from St. Croix Recreation Fun Playgrounds, Inc.
- County Highway 16 Trail: In 2020, the city plans to construct a new multi-use trail (non-motorized) between Spring Lake Drive and County Highway 18 that will complete the gap of the County Highway 16 Regional Trail.
- Highway 169 Pedestrian Trail Connection: The city continues to apply for federal transportation funding to construct a pedestrian and bicycle bridge over Highway 169. The city has future plans to build a pedestrian bridge over Highway 169, connecting the Quarry Lake area with the Dean Lake/Southbridge area.
- Lions Park Warming House: The city removed the former warming house in 2017-18 due to safety issues. The City Council has decided to pause all major park development projects until completing a master park development and management plan.