One of the most important steps you can take to prevent burglaries is to lock all of your doors and windows. This simple step is often overlooked by victims of property crimes. Criminals often look for the easiest way to way to commit a crime. In fact, according to the FBI, most burglars enter the property through the front door.
Tips for preventing home burglaries:
- Lock doors and windows.
- Remember to shut your overhead garage door and lock the service door.
- Use a solid core door for all entrance points.
- Use a quality, heavy-duty deadbolt lock with a 1-inch throw bolt.
- Use a heavy-duty strike plate with 3-inch screws.
- Secure sliding glass doors with a Charlie Bar.
- Eliminate ambush points and enhance sign lines by maintaining good landscaping.
- Leave an outside light on from dawn until dusk.
- If you will be gone for an extended period of time, have someone collect your mail and maintain your property.
- Create the illusion that someone is home by leaving lights or your TV on.
- Purchase an alarm system and display alarm signs as a visible deterrent.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Participate in Operation ID.
Operation ID is a free program offered by the Police Department which makes it difficult for thieves to sell or pawn stolen items. To enroll, please complete the form below and then contact the Crime Prevention Department at 952-233-9441 to obtain your Operation ID stickers.