A home fire can be devastating for any homeowner. Unexpected and menacing, home fires can cause thousands of dollars of damage and shake up your family’s peace of mind. The best way to prepare for a home fire is through prevention and detection.
The Shakopee Fire Department offers a new home fire safety initiative aimed at ensuring Shakopee homeowners and their families are prepared for the worst-case scenario. As part of the new Home Fire Safety program, Shakopee firefighters will make courtesy visits to residences to:
- Check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors for proper operation
- Provide fire safety and cooking safety tips
- Assist with planning a family fire escape plan
- Provide fire safety information for young children and people with disabilities
- Provide burn prevention information
- Provide fire and/or fall prevention for seniors
- Answer additional fire safety-related questions
In addition, the Fire Department assists homeowners with proper location and installation of smoke detectors. The department provides a limited number of smoke detectors to Shakopee residents who cannot afford to purchase working detectors. Program qualification is determined by the department. Sign up below to request a Home Fire Safety visit.