ePermits logo

Commercial Properties

If your project involves work on a commercial property, you should also contact:

Building Inspections Division

Planning Division

Engineering Division

Shakopee Public Utilities

Contact Us

Shakopee Fire Department

Permits & Inspections

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Fire Department is responsible for permits, plan review, inspections and acceptance testing of fire protection services.

Permit and Plan Submittals

All permit applications and plan submittals (except burn permits) must be completed online using ePermits. No paper applications or plan submittals are required.

Permit Fees

Permit fees are published in the city's Fee Schedule. ePermits contains a permit fee estimate option for all permit types. For fire protection systems including fire sprinklers, fire alarms and special hazard fire protection systems, you can also refer to the Fee Calculator [PDF].

Fire Permits
IRC Fire Sprinkler Permit (13D)
Event Permit
Fire Alarm Systems
Fire Sprinkler Systems
Fireworks Sales Permit
Fireworks Show Permit
Flammable/Combustible Liquid Storage Tanks
Open Burning Permit
Special Hazard Fire Suppression Systems
Temporary Heat Permit
Tent Permit

Fire Inspections

To schedule a fire inspection, call 952-233-9570 at least 24 hours in advance. All appropriate installers are required to be present for the inspection. To schedule an inspection for building, mechanical and plumbing permits, call 952-233-9396.

Placing an alarm or fire protection system out of service

On occasion, industrial, commercial and multi-family and single-family residential occupancies need to take their fire alarm or fire protection system out of service to conduct tests or to make repairs.

Prior to starting any work on an alarm/protection system, the monitoring company servicing the account and the Shakopee Fire Department must be notified. After tests or repairs are completed, call the monitoring company to put the alarm/protection system back in service and notify the Fire Department at 952-233-9570.

Certificate of Occupancy Information


All fire and life safety requirements must be completed before a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued. The fire department in conjunction with the building division must both approve the issuance.


If you intend to change the tenant or use of a commercial property, you must notify the city to ensure that the new tenant or use complies with all city regulations. Occupancy of any commercial space is not allowed without a Certificate of Occupancy. 

Hazardous Materials

Tier II Turn Around Reports: City Code 130.08 requires that the locations of all storage areas and inventory of hazardous materials be reported annually in writing to the Fire Department.

Other Fire Codes & Policies

Consult City Code Chapter 130, “Public Protection, Crimes and Offenses,” for further information and requirements regarding topics such as the storage of junk and falsely reporting a fire.

  • General Construction Requirements [PDF] - #18-2004: Condensed information from all Fire Department policies.
  • Pre-Fire Plan - #08-2000: Prior to final occupancy a pre-fire plan shall be submitted.
  • Addressing and Signage
  • Keyboxes [PDF] - #02-2000: Fire Department keyboxes are required on industrial, commercial and certain multi-family properties.
  • Access Roads [PDF] - #03-2000: Driveways or Fire Department access roads are required for industrial, commercial and residential properties.
  • Fire Lane Signage [PDF] - #06-2000: Fire lanes must be provided and posted in industrial, commercial and certain multi-family properties.
  • Labeling Fire Rated Walls [PDF] - #10-2000: Fire rated walls must be labeled in industrial, commercial and certain multi-family properties.
  • Indoor Expositions [PDF] - #14-2002: Requirements for indoor expositions including craft shows, sports shows, automobile and boat shows, antique shows and other indoor events.
  • Apparatus Specifications [PDF] - #23-2007: Information on length, width and turning radius of department apparatus.
  • System Records - #25-2009: Inspections and testing documents must be submitted to Shakopee Fire.
  • Mobile Food Vendors - #28-2014: Provides guidance on requirements for mobile food vendors.
  • Fence or Guard for Exterior Congregation Areas - #29-2015: Provides requirements for security and exiting of congregation areas.

Testing and Inspection Requirements

Building Owners are required by code to maintain fire safety equipment. Records of all inspections shall be maintained at the location and a copy shall be submitted to the fire department.

  • Fire Alarm Systems
    • Annual inspection and testing by state licensed contractor.
    • System smoke detectors must be replaced when the fail the required sensitivity testing/
    • Single-station smoke alarms must be replaced when they fail or within 10-years of manufacture.
  • Fire Sprinkler Systems
    • Annual inspection and testing by state licensed contractor.
  • Fire Pumps
    • Diesel fire pumps must be run weekly. Annual inspection and testing by state licensed contractor.
    • Electric fire pumps must be run monthly. Annual inspection and testing by state licensed contractor.
  • Special Hazard Systems
    • Inspection and testing every six months.
  • Kitchen Hood Suppression Systems
    • Inspection and testing every six months.
  • Kitchen Hood Cleaning
    • Inspection and cleaning schedules vary depending on the volume of grease buildup.
  • Portable Fire Extinguishers
    • Monthly inspection by company staff
    • Annual inspection by a qualified service technician
  • Exit Signs
    • 30-second operational test month
    • 60-minute operational test annually
  • Emergency Lighting
    • 30-second operational test monthly
    • 60-minute operational test annually
  • Fire Doors
    • Horizontal or vertical sliding and rolling fire doors must be inspected and tested annually.