dog on leash

Pets & Animals

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Regulations regarding pet ownership and the possession of domestic animals within the city are outlined in City Code 130.03.

Please contact the Shakopee Police Department at 952-233-9400 to report a pet that is a nuisance or a danger to the public.

Dog Licenses

All dogs over 6 months must be licensed in the city. Dog licenses are $25 and valid for the calendar year. A license is also required for use of the city's off-leash dog park. Dog licenses can be purchased online or at the Community Center.

Parks & Recreation PermitsDepartmentsPhoneFax
Dog LicenseParks and Recreation952-233-9500

Leash Law

Dogs and cats are required to be either on the owner’s property or restrained by a leash at all times, except if a dog is supervised by its owner at a designated dog park. Leashes should be no more than 10 feet in length. Any pets found running at large will be taken to the pound or, if licensed and the owner is identified, taken to the owner. A fee will be charged for the release of the animal.

Off-Leash Dog Areas

An off-leash dog park is available at Southbridge Community Park. All dogs (resident or non-resident) using the dog park must be licensed in the city and properly vaccinated. This includes dogs that do not reside in Shakopee.

Lost or Stray Animals

Dogs and cats found in the city are taken to 4 Paws Animal Control, an impound facility that serves the city and surrounding area.

4 Paws Animal Control
12848 Chestnut Blvd.
Shakopee, MN 55379

Phone: 952-894-9065

Pet Nuisances

It is unlawful for pet owners to allow their dogs or cats to act in a way that causes a nuisance, such as:

  • Habitually barking or crying
  • Chasing vehicles or individuals
  • Damaging or defiling property, public or private
  • Pestering an individual who is not on the property of the pet’s owner

In addition, the pet’s owner is responsible for removing and sanitarily disposing of feces left by the animal on any public or private property, including yards, trails, parks and boulevards.

Dangerous Dogs

Dogs that have a history, tendency or propensity to attack, chase or bite humans or other domestic animals without provocation are classified as dangerous or potentially dangerous dogs. An owner of a dangerous or potentially dangerous dog must keep the dog properly enclosed on his or her property with a warning sign posted in plain sight or muzzled and restrained on a leash no more than 4 feet long at all times. The dog must also be registered and have a microchip identification.

Backyard Chickens

Residents may keep up to five hen chickens on their property, provided they meet all the conditions outlined in City Code 130.04(H), including:

  • All five chickens must be hens; no roosters are allowed.
  • Chickens would not be allowed outside the confinement, including in the home or garage at any time.
  • Chicken coops and runs must be located in the backyard and shall be screened from view with a solid fence or landscape buffer with a minimum height of four feet.
  • Chicken coops and runs must be set back at least 10 feet from the property line and at least 50 feet from any residential structure on an adjacent lot.
  • Chicken coops cannot be larger than 10 square feet per chicken and exceed six feet in height. They must be elevated 12 to 24 inches above grade to ensure circulation beneath the coop.
  • Chicken runs cannot exceed 20 square feet per chicken and the fencing cannot exceed six feet in height.
  • Chicken grains and feed must be stored in rodent-proof containers.

Residents with chickens do not need to notify neighboring homeowners. 


Residents may keep bees in all areas of the city, provided they meet the conditions of city ordinance [PDF], which include:

Hive Setback Distance  Hive Setback   Distance
Lot Line  25 feet Adjacent Dwelling   25 feet
Lot Line with a Flyaway Barrier 15 feet  Trail/Sidewalk/Patio  25 feet
  • An adequate and convenient water source must be within 10 feet of active hives. Every effort should be made to ensure that the water source is free of chemicals typically found in tap water.
  • Sale of honey or related bee products: Retail sales in residential zones must only be from hives on that property and comply with city code on home occupations, which may require a Home Occupation permit. All on-site signage must meet city code requirements.
  • The number of colonies permitted based on lot size is below:
 Lot Size # of Colonies  Lot Size  # of Colonies 
 Less than .5 acres 2 colonies  2.51 to 4.99 acres  16 colonies 
.51 to 1 acres  4 colonies  5 to 9.99 acres  24 colonies 
1.01 to 2.5 acres  8 colonies  Greater than 10 acres  32 colonies 
Boarding, Breeding and Farm Animals

Residents who board, breed or sell cats or dogs as a business are required to obtain a kennel license when there are more than two domestic animals that are six months of age or older. Kennels are only allowed in the agricultural preservation zone (City Code 151.030) and require the approval of a conditional use permit.

Note: The city does not limit how many pets a resident may have.

Owning livestock within city limits is allowed only in the agricultural preservation zone (151.030), the rural residential zone (151.031) and the sewered rural residential zone (151.032) and requires a conditional use permit. For more information, contact the Planning & Zoning Division.


It is not uncommon for Shakopee residents to see deer, foxes, raccoons or other wild animals. Feeding these wild animals is discouraged, and it is unlawful for anyone to possess a wild animal. If you see an animal that appears sick or injured, notify the Shakopee Police Department at 952-233-9400. In an emergency, if a wild animal is acting aggressive and posing a danger to you or your pet, call 911.

If wildlife is causing a nuisance in your home or yard, contact a wildlife or pest control agency.

For more information and tips about living with wildlife, visit the Minnesota DNR website.