Shakopee Houses

New Resident Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Welcome City Publication 2019 CoverWe're pleased you have chosen to make Shakopee your new home. We've gathered our most common questions from new residents to help make your transition as smooth as possible.

If you can't find an answer to your question, feel free to contact city hall at 952-233-9300 or stop by to pick up a New Residents brochure.

City Hall
485 Gorman St.
Shakopee, MN 55379

Phone: 952-233-9300
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday

City Services & Public Safety

City Services

Public Safety 

In an emergency, dial 9-1-1. For a non-emergency situation, contact

  • Police Department at 952-233-9400 (business hours) or 952-445-1411 (after 4:30 p.m.)
  • Fire Department at 952-233-9570

See Public Safety for more Police and Fire links.

Election & Voting

Local (county, city, school board), state and federal elections are held in even-numbered years. Primary elections are held on the second Tuesday in August. General elections are held on the first Tuesday in November. Find information on voter registration, precincts and polling locations.

Garbage & Recycling Collection

Republic Services provides residential garbage, bulk item pickup, yard waste and recycling services for all residential properties in the City of Shakopee. For more information, visit Refuse & Recycling.

NOTE: Please contact your utility and garbage collection providers to check if your property has unpaid bills or pending assessments. (This is commonly overlooked when foreclosed properties are purchased.) If charges have previously been assessed, they will be recorded with Scott County. 

Housing & Rental Assistance

The City of Shakopee strives to provide its residents with the resources and information to aid in the advancement of their state and federally recognized civil rights through its Fair Housing Policy

The Scott County Community Development Agency serves the community by providing rental assistance programs, affordable housing rentals and homebuyer programs, as well as foreclosure prevention and mortgage mitigation assistance services. More information is available at or call 952-402-9022.

Minnesota Housing offers products and services to help Minnesotans buy and fix up their homes and to stabilize neighborhoods, communities and families. It also supports the development and preservation of affordable rental housing through both financing and long-term asset manage­ment.

The Community Action Partnership of Scott, Carver and Dakota counties strives to help people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. Assistance includes short or long-term housing services intended to help clients stabilize their situation and become self-sufficient.

Additional Resources:

  • Scott County Emergency Assistance | 952-496-8686
  • Salvation Army | | 952-898-9367
Licenses & Permits

A complete list of city-issued permits and licenses, including building and fire, are available on the Licenses and Permits page.

Dog licenses are issued by the Parks & Recreation Department and can be purchased online.

Marriage licenses, driver’s licenses and license plates are issued by Scott County. For more information, call 952-496-8150 or visit the Customer Service Center at 200 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee.


The city's official newspaper is the weekly Shakopee Valley News, published Saturdays. The daily Star Tribune, based in Minneapolis, also covers the area.

Shakopee Valley News (weekly): 952-445-3333
Star Tribune (daily): 612-673-4000 

Opt out of free newspaper

Residents can “opt out” of receiving the free TC Values newspaper or have a newspaper tube installed for no charge. Contact the Star Tribune at 612-673-7305 between 6:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday or email

Medical Facilities

St. Francis Regional Medical Center is located on the South Valley Health Campus in Shakopee. The hospital dates back to 1938 when five Franciscan Sisters purchased the county poorhouse and opened the St. Francis Hospital and Home in Shakopee. In addition to general medical and surgical care, St. Francis is a Level III Trauma Center. 

In 2014, the Shakopee VA Clinic, a community-based outreach clinic, also opened at 1111 Shakopee Town Square Center.

For more information about medical providers in Shakopee, check out the Business Directory.

Property Taxes & Homestead Filing

You may file for homestead status at the Customer Service Center for Scott County, 200 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee. Call 952-496-8150 or visit the county’s website for more information.

Prospective Buyers

Interested in purchasing a home in Shakopee? If you're considering making an offer on a property in Shakopee, here are some resources that may assist you:

  • Building permit history: See permit history dating back to 1999
  • Special assessments: Check whether a property has an outstanding assessments
  • Property information: Visit Scott County's website for information related to legal description, building features, property taxes and valuation, recorded documents and more
  • Future improvements: See the city's five-year capital improvement plan for upcoming infrastructure improvements in your area
Shakopee is served primarily by the Shakopee School District 720; however, a small portion of the city’s industrial park falls into the Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191. The city also has two parochial elementary schools. Find more information about Shakopee area schools, public and private.

Shakopee offers a variety of transit services, including:

  • Commuter bus service to and from downtown Minneapolis and the Mall of America
  • Fixed-route circulator within the city
  • Dial-a-ride, shared service
  • Highway 169 service from Mankato to Minneapolis

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities.

NOTE: Please contact your utility and garbage collection providers to check if your property has unpaid bills or pending assessments. (This is commonly overlooked when foreclosed properties are purchased.) If charges have previously been assessed, they will be recorded with Scott County.