Every last Saturday in April, the City of Shakopee, in cooperation with Louisville Township, Jackson Township and Scott County, offers a Clean Up Day for household junk that can be recycled.
Residents will be charged a flat fee (cash or check) based on the type of items being discarded. Additional fees apply as noted.
Clean Up Day is for residents of Shakopee, Jackson Township, and Louisville Township (IDs required) and is funded in part through grants received from Scott County and Shakopee's Recycling Rebate Program.
- Furniture: Mattresses, bed frames dressers, tables, chairs, sofas (no sleeper sofas).
- Housewares: Ironing boards, irons, lamps, small appliances, bakeware, glassware, dishes, utensils, pots/pans.
- Linens: Bedding, towels, pillows, blankets.
- Specialty Items: Framed mirrors, artwork, pictures, household tools.
Shakopee Rotary collects donations of furniture and household items for Bridging Inc., a local non-profit that serves people in need throughout the seven-county metropolitan area.
Donations are tax-deductible (thrift market value). To qualify, donations must be in good condition, clean, undamaged and not worn beyond a respectable life.
Furniture pickup is also available. Contact Rotarian Tim Whitcomb at 952-445-6170 with questions or to schedule a pickup.
Paper Shredding | FREE!
Located at 500 Gorman St. Enter in between 400 and 500 Gorman and turn left into the parking lot. Entrance fee and event line not required! shredrightnow.com/events/category/shredevents
Textiles (clothing, footwear, accessories, linens) | FREE!
Located at 500 Gorman St. Enter in between 400 and 500 Gorman and turn left into the parking lot. Entrance fee and event line not required! www.usagain.com/municipality
- Electronics: Stereo, TV, VCR, desktop copier/printer/scanner
- Console or projection TV ($25)
- Computers: ($10 monitor and CPU combo) Please clean personal information off hard drives before recycling.
- Car batteries, tires (maximum eight).
- Couches ($20)
- Plastic, mirrors/glass, broken/old household items
- Please put your loose garbage in a box or tote bin for easy, clean loading and unloading
- Yard waste: Grass, leaves, garden material, brush, etc. in compostable bags only.
- Brush bundles: Cut in 6-foot lengths bound with biodegradable twine.
- Propane tanks ($5)
- BBQ grills (remove briquettes), lawn mowers (drain fuel/oil), patio furniture, motors, pots and pans, copper piping/tubing, brass faucets, stainless sinks, fitness equipment, bed frames, etc.
- Residential rolled carpet only ($10 per vehicle)
- Rolls should be 6 feet wide or less tied with duct tape or twine.
- Separated urethane foam padding accepted
- No commercial carpet, rubber backed carpet or rubber pad, carpet tile, other rigid flooring, no carpet scraps or trimmings, tack strips, nails, staples or knife blades, wet glue, debris, refuse, rocks or caked mud, co-mingled refuse
- Mattress / Box Spring ($20 each / $40 set)
- Appliances: Stove, refrigerator, freezer, water heater, dehumidifier, water softener, microwave, washer, dryer.
NOT Accepted Items
Liquids, Chemicals, Oils, Fluorescent Bulbs, Paints, Paint Cans, Landscape Blocks, Concrete, Tree Stumps, Dirt, RV/Gas Refrigerators, Contractor Building Material Debris, Hot Tubs, Bath Tubs, Whirlpool Tubs.
Where to get rid of non-accepted items?
Scott County Household Hazardous Waste Facility accepts many of the "not accepted" items. Please call them at 952-496-8652 or visit its website for details.
Dem Con Recovery and Recycling, LLC in Shakopee accepts many large items and some of the "not accepted" items for a fee. The service providers on this list may also take some of the "not accepted" items.