Elections for city offices are held on the first Tuesday in November in even-numbered years.
Filing for 2018 Election
Filing for candidacy in the 2018 General Election is open Tuesday, July 31 through Tuesday, Aug. 14. Residents may file to run for these positions at Shakopee City Hall, 485 Gorman St. (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). The filing fee is $5.
The city will have three elected positions on the 2018 ballot:
- Mayor (four-year term from Jan. 1, 2019-2022)
- 2 City Council seats (four-year terms from Jan. 1, 2019-2022)
To run for mayor or city councilor, the candidate must meet the following required qualifications:
- A citizen of the United States.
- A Shakopee resident for 30 days immediately before the election.
- Must be at least 21 years old when assuming office.
Both the mayor and City Council members are elected at-large, on a nonpartisan basis.
The mayor is elected to serve a four-year term as the chief executive officer of the city, presiding at City Council meetings as a voting member of the council, with no power of veto. The mayor receives an annual salary of $15,000.
The four City Council members are elected to staggered, four-year terms. A councilor’s annual salary is $7,500.