The Department of Administration supports the city’s core services and acts a liaison for the City Council. The department's main functions include:
- City Administrator: Support, enhancement, compliance and implementation of City Council policy
- City Clerk: Maintain official city records, including city code and public meetings
- Communications: Public relations and communications
- Facilities: Maintenance and upkeep of city buildings
- Human Resources: Employment and labor relations
- Information Technology: IT support
Shakopee City Administrator William H. Reynolds joined the city in June 2015. Prior to assuming his current role he served as president of WHR Professional Services Solutions, a strategic operations consulting firm, and in leadership for the City of Pensacola, Fla., and in county administration for both Washtenaw County, Mich., and Chippewa County, Wis.
Appointed by the City Council, the city administrator serves as the chief administrative officer in the City of Shakopee. The Administrator is responsible for day-to-day oversight of city operations, providing direction for all city departments regarding the policies and goals established by the City Council, handling citizen inquiries and acting as liaison to the mayor and City Council.