CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center will reopen July 6. Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.

Building Permits
Change of Occupancy or Land Use Review
Commercial & Industrial Building Permit
Demolition Permit
Electrical Permit
Fence Permit
Mechanical Permit
Moving Permit
Plumbing Permit
Residential Building Permit
Sewer & Water Permit
Tree Preservation Plan
Engineering & Public Works Permits
Grading Permit
Right-of-Way Insurance Registration
Right-of-Way Permit
Fire Permits
IRC Fire Sprinkler Permit (13D)
Event Permit
Fire Alarm Systems
Fire Sprinkler Systems
Fireworks Permit
Fireworks Sales Permit
Flammable/Combustible Liquid Storage Tanks
Open Burning Permit
Special Hazard Fire Suppression Systems
Temporary Heat Permit
Tent Permit
Planning Permits
Conditional Use Permit
Final Plat
Home Occupations
Minor Subdivision
Outdoor Cafe Permit
Planned Unit Development
Planned Unit Development Concept Review
Preliminary Plat
Seasonal Sales Permit
Sign Permits
Vacation of Streets, Alleys and Easements
Woodland Alteration Permit
Zoning Map and Text Amendments
Zoning Verification Letter

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at