CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Sign Permits and Standards

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Sign Permits
Sign Permits

Note: Signs placed within city, county or state right-of-way or attached to trees, utility poles, rocks or other similar surfaces are not permitted and can be removed without warning.

Does my sign need a permit?

Click on the different types of signs to learn more about sign requirements and see examples.

Electronic Message Boards
Freestanding Sign
Highway Sign
Projecting Sign
Revolving or Moving Signs
Temporary Sign
Wall Sign

In 2018, the City Council adopted an overhauled sign code that alters most of the previous standards and definitions. Sign overlay zones are no longer in effect; sign standards are determined by the zoning designation of a property.

How is sign area determined?

The exact square footage permitted for each sign type is determined by the property’s zoning designation: highway business, community commercial, neighborhood commercial, industrial, major recreation, office and business park and residential.

What are the standards for my sign district?

Information outlining the signage size and placement is available in City Code 151.185 and the approved Sign Ordinance [PDF]. Note: Applicable parcels based on proximity to principle arterials are subject to change.

Sign Ordinance Table [PDF]

Highway Signs Map [PDF]

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer