CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.
Building PermitsDepartmentsPhone
Commercial & Industrial Building PermitBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Change of Occupancy or Land Use ReviewBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Mechanical PermitBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Moving PermitBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Electrical PermitBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Plumbing PermitBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Residential Building PermitBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Sewer & Water PermitBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Fence PermitBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Demolition PermitBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Tree Preservation PlanBuilding Inspections952-233-9300
Business LicensesDepartmentsPhone
Liquor LicensesCity Clerk952-233-9300
Peddlers, Solicitors & Transient MerchantsCity Clerk952-233-9300
Pawnbrokers, Precious Metal Dealers and Secondhand DealersCity Clerk952-233-9300
Pet Store LicenseCity Clerk952-233-9300
Refuse Hauler (Commercial) LicenseCity Clerk952-233-9300
Mobile Food TrucksCity Clerk952-233-9300
Massage Therapist LicenseCity Clerk952-233-9300
Massage Therapy Business LicenseCity Clerk952-233-9300
Taxicab Business LicenseCity Clerk952-233-9300
Taxi Driver LicenseCity Clerk952-233-9300
Tobacco Sales LicenseCity Clerk952-233-9300
Currency ExchangeCity Clerk952-233-9300
Engineering & Public Works PermitsDepartmentsPhone
Right-of-Way Insurance RegistrationCity Clerk952-233-9300
Grading PermitEngineering952-233-9300
Right-of-Way PermitPublic Works952-233-9550
Fire PermitsDepartmentsPhone
Temporary Heat PermitFire952-233-9570
Fire Alarm SystemsFire952-233-9570
Fire Sprinkler SystemsFire952-233-9570
Special Hazard Fire Suppression SystemsFire952-233-9570
Tent PermitFire952-233-9570
Event PermitFire952-233-9570
Fireworks Sales PermitFire952-233-9570
Fireworks PermitFire952-233-9570
Flammable/Combustible Liquid Storage TanksFire952-233-9570
IRC Fire Sprinkler Permit (13D)Fire952-233-9570
Open Burning PermitFire952-233-9570
Miscellaneous PermitsDepartmentsPhone
Temporary Amusement Park RidesBuilding Inspections952-233-9396
Dog LicenseParks and Recreation952-233-9500
Gun PermitPolice952-233-9400
Bicycle RegistrationPolice952-233-9400
Block Party RegistrationPolice952-233-9400
Parade, Race & Event PermitPolice952-233-9400
Planning PermitsDepartmentsPhone
Seasonal Sales PermitPlanning952-233-9322
Sign PermitsPlanning952-233-9322
Conditional Use PermitPlanning952-233-9322
Final PlatPlanning952-233-9322
Home OccupationsPlanning952-233-9322
Planned Unit DevelopmentPlanning952-233-9322
Planned Unit Development Concept ReviewPlanning952-233-9322
Preliminary PlatPlanning952-233-9322
Vacation of Streets, Alleys and EasementsPlanning952-233-9322
Zoning Map and Text AmendmentsPlanning952-233-9322
Woodland Alteration PermitPlanning952-233-9322
Minor SubdivisionPlanning952-233-9322
Zoning Verification LetterPlanning952-233-9322
Outdoor Cafe PermitPlanning952-233-9322

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.