CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Tent Permit

Required for canopies greater than 400 square feet and tents greater than 200 square feet. If a canopy is less than 75 percent open, it is defined as a tent and permitted as a tent. This permit is for up to three canopies and/or tents with no canopy or tent greater than 15,000 square feet and the total area of all canopies and tents to be no greater than 15,000 square feet.

Required documentation:

  • Site plan
  • Flame certificates
  • Manufacturers' anchoring requirements

Additional Information

  • Tents [PDF] – Requirements for permitting and plan review.
Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.