CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Fire Alarm Systems

Required for systems in which heat detectors or multiple smoke detectors are provided and one or more notification appliances are provided for occupant warning. These systems may include fire protection monitoring systems. Permit includes fire sprinkler monitoring, special hazard monitoring and fire alarm notification.

There are two types of permits:

Value over $2,000 (includes plan review)

Required documentation includes:

  • Plans
  • Sequence of operation
  • Battery calculations
  • Product specification sheets

Value up to $2,000

Required documentation includes:
  • Plans or project narrative
  • Product specification sheets

Additional Information

Fire alarm and fire protection monitoring systems must be installed in accordance with applicable codes. All installations shall be certified as required by NFPA 72 for Central Station Service. A Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued until a copy of the certification is received by the Fire Department.

For fire alarm systems utilizing a new or replacement fire alarm control panel, an electrical permit application is required. Electrical permits may be submitted through ePermits.

*Before taking an alarm system out of service for tests or repairs, notify the Fire Department at 952-233-9570. 
Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.