CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are closed until further notice. Shakopee City Hall will reopen to the public beginning Monday, June 1. The Shakopee Police Department, Shakopee Public Works and Shakopee Ice Arena will also reopen for public business.

The Shakopee Community Center remains closed in accordance with state orders.

City staff are continuing to provide essential services. Contact us by phone, website or email. Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.

Fire Alarm Systems

Required for systems in which heat detectors or multiple smoke detectors are provided and one or more notification appliances are provided for occupant warning. These systems may include fire protection monitoring systems. Permit includes fire sprinkler monitoring, special hazard monitoring and fire alarm notification.

There are two types of permits:

Value over $2,000 (includes plan review)

Required documentation includes:

  • Plans
  • Sequence of operation
  • Battery calculations
  • Product specification sheets

Value up to $2,000

Required documentation includes:
  • Plans or project narrative
  • Product specification sheets

Additional Information

Fire alarm and fire protection monitoring systems must be installed in accordance with applicable codes. All installations shall be certified as required by NFPA 72 for Central Station Service. A Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued until a copy of the certification is received by the Fire Department.

For fire alarm systems utilizing a new or replacement fire alarm control panel, an electrical permit application is required. Electrical permits may be submitted through ePermits.

*Before taking an alarm system out of service for tests or repairs, notify the Fire Department at 952-233-9570. 
Return to full list >>

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at