CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Woodland Alteration Permit

Required for:
  • Residential parcels 2.5 acres or greater AND all commercial/industrial parcels when any private or public infrastructure and utility installation, building construction, excavation, grading, clearing, filling or other earth change will occur in the cutting, removal or killing of a significant tree.
  • Residential parcels 2.5 acres or smaller for construction of an initial dwelling.

Contact the Planning Division for more information at 952-233-9322.

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.