CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center will reopen July 6. Find the latest updates at

Building Inspections handles the application and enforcement of the building code and related ordinances regulating construction and alterations with in the city.

Change of Occupancy or Land Use Review


Required for any change of tenant or building use to ensure the new use complies with city zoning regulations. Necessary whether the usage change applies to one tenant (e.g., office space to physician’s practice) or the entire building (e.g., retail to restaurant).

Apply through ePermits. You will be prompted to submit a Request for Change of Occupancy, Occupant or Land Use Review [PDF] during the process.

City staff will review the proposed building use change to determine whether any further requirements must be met:


If the proposed use does not change Minnesota State Building Code occupancy classification or the required building construction type AND complies with city zoning regulations, a certificate of occupancy is issued.

  • Applicant must submit a $50 fee to Building Inspections.


If no remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, the city will inspect the property for compliance with the current Minnesota State Building Code requirements for the proposed use.

If corrections are needed, plans and permits may be required. Once work is completed and the building is in compliance, a certificate of occupancy is issued.


If remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, a building permit will also be required. (Only a building permit fee is charged; there is no additional charge for the certificate of occupancy.) Staff will review architectural drawings to ensure plans conform to city and state codes.

As construction is completed, inspectors will verify that work complies with applicable codes. Once all remodeling is completed and has passed inspection, a certificate of occupancy is issued.

Return to full list >>

Applying for a building permit

Most building projects require permits. To apply for a new permit, please use our ePermits site. Please note:

  • Many projects require a plan review, which can take up to 10 working days.
  • Applications should be submitted well in advance of the scheduled starting date, especially during the summer construction season.
  • Plan review fees are paid at the time of submittal. Remaining permit fees are paid once the permit is approved.
  • Building Permit Submittal Requirements [PDF] for residential and commercial permits

How to use ePermits & ePlans

Step-by-step ePermits plan review:

  1. Go to
  2. Create account.
  3. Select permit applying for.
  4. Pay plan review fee.
  5. You should receive an email from (DONOTREPLY@SHAKOPEEMN.GOV) ePlans with a link to
  6. Create an account with ePlans and log in.
  7. Click on Drawings folder and upload drawings/plans.
  8. Click on Documents folder and upload permit applications or associated documents.
  9. Complete Applicant Upload Task in Project Flow task list.
  10. This will send a notification to permit coordinator that your project has been submitted.
  11. Wait for email notifications regarding your permit:
    • Once approved, you will receive an email with instructions on how to pay for your permit and download approved plans.
    • Once the permit is paid, you will receive an email with your inspection card. 

Questions about ePermits? Contact Permit Coordinator Kelly Buska at or 952-233-9322 or the Building Division at 952-233-9396.


On-site inspections are required to make certain work conforms to the permit, city and state codes and plans. An experienced code official is available to answer questions concerning your project. The code official will let you know approximately how many inspections may be needed for your project.

A Shakopee code official will provide documentation when construction is completed and the code compliance is determined.


  • Call 952-233-9396 24 hours in advance Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.