CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Change of Occupancy or Land Use Review


Required for any change of tenant or building use to ensure the new use complies with city zoning regulations. Necessary whether the usage change applies to one tenant (e.g., office space to physician’s practice) or the entire building (e.g., retail to restaurant).

Apply through ePermits. You will be prompted to submit a Request for Change of Occupancy, Occupant or Land Use Review [PDF] during the process.

City staff will review the proposed building use change to determine whether any further requirements must be met:


If the proposed use does not change Minnesota State Building Code occupancy classification or the required building construction type AND complies with city zoning regulations, a certificate of occupancy is issued.

  • Applicant must submit a $50 fee to Building Inspections.


If no remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, the city will inspect the property for compliance with the current Minnesota State Building Code requirements for the proposed use.

If corrections are needed, plans and permits may be required. Once work is completed and the building is in compliance, a certificate of occupancy is issued.


If remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, a building permit will also be required. (Only a building permit fee is charged; there is no additional charge for the certificate of occupancy.) Staff will review architectural drawings to ensure plans conform to city and state codes.

As construction is completed, inspectors will verify that work complies with applicable codes. Once all remodeling is completed and has passed inspection, a certificate of occupancy is issued.

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.