CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are closed until further notice. Shakopee City Hall will reopen to the public beginning Monday, June 1. The Shakopee Police Department, Shakopee Public Works and Shakopee Ice Arena will also reopen for public business.

The Shakopee Community Center remains closed in accordance with state orders.

City staff are continuing to provide essential services. Contact us by phone, website or email. Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.

Change of Occupancy or Land Use Review


Required for any change of tenant or building use to ensure the new use complies with city zoning regulations. Necessary whether the usage change applies to one tenant (e.g., office space to physician’s practice) or the entire building (e.g., retail to restaurant).

Apply through ePermits. You will be prompted to submit a Request for Change of Occupancy, Occupant or Land Use Review [PDF] during the process.

City staff will review the proposed building use change to determine whether any further requirements must be met:


If the proposed use does not change Minnesota State Building Code occupancy classification or the required building construction type AND complies with city zoning regulations, a certificate of occupancy is issued.

  • Applicant must submit a $50 fee to Building Inspections.


If no remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, the city will inspect the property for compliance with the current Minnesota State Building Code requirements for the proposed use.

If corrections are needed, plans and permits may be required. Once work is completed and the building is in compliance, a certificate of occupancy is issued.


If remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, a building permit will also be required. (Only a building permit fee is charged; there is no additional charge for the certificate of occupancy.) Staff will review architectural drawings to ensure plans conform to city and state codes.

As construction is completed, inspectors will verify that work complies with applicable codes. Once all remodeling is completed and has passed inspection, a certificate of occupancy is issued.

Return to full list >>

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at