CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Tobacco Sales License

  • Departments:City Clerk
  • Divisions:Business Licenses
  • Phone:952-233-9300
  • Apply In Person City Hall, 485 Gorman St.

Applicants are asked to schedule an appointment with the City Clerk's Office prior to bringing in a business license application. Call 952-233-9300 and ask for Heidi or Lori to set up an appointment.

In compliance with state and federal laws, the city requires a license for the sale of tobacco, tobacco products and tobacco-related devices.

With an exception for electronic cigarette devices, City Code prohibits the sampling of tobacco and tobacco products in licensed businesses.


Licenses are issued on a calendar year basis from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. For licenses issued after Jan. 1, fees will be prorated. Licenses fees are found in annual Fee Schedule. Licenses must be renewed annually.
Licenses must be posted and displayed in plain view of the general public.


All licensed premises are open for inspection by the Police Department. Establishments in violation of city, state or federal regulations may be fined and/or have their license suspended or revoked.

How to obtain a license

  • Submit a Tobacco Sales [PDF] application and background check fees (for new businesses) to City Hall
  • Provide proof of an approved program for instructing employees on the legal requirements to sell tobacco, tobacco products and tobacco-related devices
  • Receive approval from the City Council
  • Pay license fee (see Fee Schedule)
Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.