CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Taxicab Business License

  • Departments:City Clerk
  • Divisions:Business Licenses
  • Phone:952-233-9300
  • Apply In Person City Hall, 485 Gorman St.

Applicants are asked to schedule an appointment with the City Clerk's Office prior to bringing in a business license application. Call 952-233-9300 and ask for Heidi or Lori to set up an appointment.

Applications must be submitted in person to city hall. Licenses must be renewed annually by Jan. 1.

How to obtain a license

Applicants should file with the City Clerk’s Office:

  • Taxicab Business License [PDF] application and $150 background check fee (first time only)
  • Name, date of birth, address, financial status and experience
  • Vehicle information (number, license number, color scheme, insignia)
  • Proof of taximeter, inspection of the Police Department

Public hearings are required before a license is issued. Once approved, the City Clerk will contact applicants for the license fee (see Fee Schedule).

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.