CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Mobile Food Trucks

  • Apply In Person City Hall, 485 Gorman St.

Applicants are asked to schedule an appointment with the City Clerk's Office prior to bringing in a business license application. Call 952-233-9300 and ask for Heidi or Lori to set up an appointment.

City Code requires food trucks seeking to operate in the city to obtain a license at city hall: See Amended Mobile Food Truck Ordinance [PDF].

The city offers a $50 paid, annual license. Mobile food unit licenses issued with food code safety inspections from the Scott County or the State of Minnesota are valid from April 1 to Nov. 15 of a given year. Mobile food licenses issued with verification of license and food code safety inspections from another state of Minnesota licensing authority may be valid from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 of a given year, provided the other jurisdiction allows for mobile food unit operations during the time period of Jan. 1 to March 31 and Nov. 15 to March 31.

How to obtain a license

The applicant must submit:

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.