Mobile Food Trucks
- Departments:City Clerk
- Divisions:Business Licenses
- APPLY IN PERSON @City Hall, 485 Gorman St.
Applicants are asked to schedule an appointment with the City Clerk's Office prior to bringing in a business license application. Call 952-233-9300 and ask for Heidi or Lori to set up an appointment.
City Code requires food trucks seeking to operate in the city to obtain a license at city hall: Mobile Food Unit Ordinance [PDF].
The city offers two options: a free, temporary (10-day) registration or a $50 paid, annual license. Food trucks with annual licenses are allowed from April through October. Temporary licenses extend from March 15 to Nov. 15, based on weather and staff discretion.
How to obtain a license
The applicant must submit:
- Mobile Food Truck License Application [PDF] (In Shakopee more than 10 days)
- Mobile Food Truck Registration [PDF] (In Shakopee one to 10 days)
- Minnesota Department of Revenue Form [PDF]
- Minnesota Workers Compensation Form [PDF]
- Fire Compliance Checklist [PDF]
- Additional requirements listed on first page of application
The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.
Business Licensing or Regulation
Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.
Food and Health Licenses
If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.
Charitable Gambling Licenses
Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.