CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Commercial & Industrial Building Permit

A commercial construction permit is required for any new commercial or industrial building, as well as additions to and remodeling of an existing building. Normally, electrical, plumbing, heating/air-conditioning and sewer and water projects require additional permits.

Apply through ePermitsYou will be prompted to submit a Commercial Building Permit Application [PDF] during the process. 

Submittal Requirements

Please refer to the Submittal Requirements for Building Permits [PDF] checklist to ensure you are submitting the proper documentation.


Sanitary Sewer Service Availability Charge (SAC)

This charge is applicable to various residential, commercial, public and institutional facilities. The Metropolitan Council determines the total number of units for each facility by utilizing the most recent edition of the Metropolitan Council SAC Procedures Manual.

Metropolitan Council SAC Fees

A SAC estimation tool is available on the Metropolitan Council's SAC fees website.  

City of Shakopee SAC Fees 

City of Shakopee SAC fees is available in the current Fee Schedule. You can also contact the Engineering Division at 952-233-9369.

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.