Pawnbrokers, Precious Metal Dealers and Secondhand Dealers
- Departments:City Clerk
- Divisions:Business Licenses
- Apply In Person City Hall, 485 Gorman St.
Applicants are asked to schedule an appointment with the City Clerk's Office prior to bringing in a business license application. Call 952-233-9300 and ask for Heidi or Lori to set up an appointment.
To protect consumers against the transfer of stolen property, the city licenses pawnbrokers, precious metal dealers and secondhand dealers to ensure compliance with the city and state’s regulations for record keeping and surveillance monitoring. For more information, see City Code 113.
Businesses and employees must be licensed with the city. Licenses must be renewed annually by Jan. 1.
How to obtain a license
- Submit a Pawnbrokers, Precious Metal Dealers and Secondhand Dealers Business [PDF] application OR Pawnbrokers, Precious Metal Dealers and Secondhand Dealers Employee [PDF] application and background check fee (see application)
- Undergo a background investigation by the Police Department. Please note it can take up to 10 days for a background check.
- Pay license fee (see Fee Schedule) after license has been approved
The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.
Business Licensing or Regulation
Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.
Food and Health Licenses
Charitable Gambling Licenses
Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.