CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Fence Permit

A permit is required to install, replace, repair or move any fence or wall within the city. There is no charge or permit required for garden fences up to 3 feet in height.  Fences greater than 6 feet in height shall also require a conditional use permit

The purpose of a permit is to ensure the placement, height and appearance of fences comply with the requirements set forth in the easement ordinance to ensure access to city easements is maintained.

Apply through ePermits. You will be prompted to submit a Fence Permit Application [PDF] during the process. 

Submittal Requirements

  • Site plan showing the proposed fence location is required. Contact the city for a survey of the property.

A $50 fence permit fee is required once the permit is approved. 

Fence Placement 

For questions related to placement of a fence in relation to easements, right-of-way or public land, contact Public Works at 952-233-9550 or

Call before you dig! Always contact Gopher State One at 811 prior to digging. 

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.