Residential Building Permit
- Departments:Building Inspections
- Divisions:Building Permits
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
A residential building permit is required for any new residential building, as well as additions to and remodeling of an existing building. Normally, electrical, plumbing, heating/air-conditioning and sewer and water projects require additional permits.
Please refer to the Submittal Requirements for Building Permits [PDF] checklist to ensure you are submitting the proper documentation.
New Construction Forms & Information
- Tree Preservation Plan
- Alternate Erosion & Sediment Control Plan Form [PDF]
- Erosion Control Information for New Homeowners [PDF]
- An Erosion Control Escrow is $1,000 for all residential and commercial building permits that require erosion control protection. The escrow will be collected at the time of building permit issuance.
- Residential Equipment/Appliance Worksheet [PDF]
Overview of NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit: Owners and operators of construction activity disturbing one acre or more of land need to obtain an NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
Minnesota Energy Codes: New Minnesota Energy Codes became effective in June 2009. Some of the areas affected include radon, foundation insulation installation and efficiency, and mechanical equipment control.
All projects listed below require a permit unless noted.
- Accessory Buildings/Detached Garages [PDF] (Note: Utility/garden sheds under 200-square-feet do not require a permit)
- Basement Finishing [PDF]
- Interior Foundation Insulation Systems [PDF]
- Decks [PDF]
- Lawn Irrigation System [PDF]
- Asphalt Shingle Roofing [PDF]
- Swimming Pools [PDF]
- Screen Porches & Three-Season Porch [PDF]
- Single-Family Stairways/Guards [PDF]
Applying for a building permit
Most building projects require permits. To apply for a new permit, please use our ePermits site. Please note:
- Many projects require a plan review, which can take up to 10 working days.
- Applications should be submitted well in advance of the scheduled starting date, especially during the summer construction season.
- Plan review fees are paid at the time of submittal. Remaining permit fees are paid once the permit is approved.
- Building Permit Submittal Requirements [PDF] for residential and commercial permits
How to use ePermits & ePlans
Step-by-step ePermits plan review:
- Go to www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
- Create account.
- Select permit applying for.
- Pay plan review fee.
- You should receive an email from (DONOTREPLY@SHAKOPEEMN.GOV) ePlans with a link to planreview.ShakopeeMN.gov/ProjectDox
- Create an account with ePlans and log in.
- Click on Drawings folder and upload drawings/plans.
- Click on Documents folder and upload permit applications or associated documents.
- Complete Applicant Upload Task in Project Flow task list.
- This will send a notification to permit coordinator that your project has been submitted.
- Wait for email notifications regarding your permit:
- Once approved, you will receive an email with instructions on how to pay for your permit and download approved plans.
- Once the permit is paid, you will receive an email with your inspection card.
Questions about ePermits? Contact Permit Coordinator Kelly Buska at kbuska@ShakopeeMN.gov or 952-233-9322 or the Building Division at 952-233-9396.
On-site inspections are required to make certain work conforms to the permit, city and state codes and plans. An experienced code official is available to answer questions concerning your project. The code official will let you know approximately how many inspections may be needed for your project.
A Shakopee code official will provide documentation when construction is completed and the code compliance is determined.
SCHEDULE AN INSPECTION
- Call 952-233-9396 24 hours in advance Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.