CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Residential Building Permit

A residential building permit is required for any new residential building, as well as additions to and remodeling of an existing building. Normally, electrical, plumbing, heating/air-conditioning and sewer and water projects require additional permits.

Apply through ePermits. You will be prompted to submit a Residential Building Permit Application [PDF] during the process. 

Submittal Requirements

Please refer to the Submittal Requirements for Building Permits [PDF] checklist to ensure you are submitting the proper documentation.

New Construction Forms & Information

Overview of NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit: Owners and operators of construction activity disturbing one acre or more of land need to obtain an NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.

Minnesota Energy Codes: New Minnesota Energy Codes became effective in June 2009. Some of the areas affected include radon, foundation insulation installation and efficiency, and mechanical equipment control.

Information Sheets

All projects listed below require a permit unless noted.

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.