Residential Building Permit
- Departments:Building Inspections
- Divisions:Building Permits
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
A residential building permit is required for any new residential building, as well as additions to and remodeling of an existing building. Normally, electrical, plumbing, heating/air-conditioning and sewer and water projects require additional permits.
Please refer to the Submittal Requirements for Building Permits [PDF] checklist to ensure you are submitting the proper documentation.
New Construction Forms & Information
- Tree Preservation Plan
- Alternate Erosion & Sediment Control Plan Form [PDF]
- Erosion Control Information for New Homeowners [PDF]
- An Erosion Control Escrow is $1,000 for all residential and commercial building permits that require erosion control protection. The escrow will be collected at the time of building permit issuance.
- Residential Equipment/Appliance Worksheet [PDF]
Overview of NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit: Owners and operators of construction activity disturbing one acre or more of land need to obtain an NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
Minnesota Energy Codes: New Minnesota Energy Codes became effective in June 2009. Some of the areas affected include radon, foundation insulation installation and efficiency, and mechanical equipment control.
All projects listed below require a permit unless noted.
- Accessory Buildings/Detached Garages [PDF] (Note: Utility/garden sheds under 200-square-feet do not require a permit)
- Basement Finishing [PDF]
- Interior Foundation Insulation Systems [PDF]
- Decks [PDF]
- Lawn Irrigation System [PDF]
- Asphalt Shingle Roofing [PDF]
- Swimming Pools [PDF]
- Screen Porches & Three-Season Porch [PDF]
- Single-Family Stairways/Guards [PDF]