CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center will reopen July 6. Find the latest updates at

Service Directory List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Residential Building Permit

A residential building permit is required for any new residential building, as well as additions to and remodeling of an existing building. Normally, electrical, plumbing, heating/air-conditioning and sewer and water projects require additional permits.

Apply through ePermits. You will be prompted to submit a Residential Building Permit Application [PDF] during the process. 

Submittal Requirements

Please refer to the Submittal Requirements for Building Permits [PDF] checklist to ensure you are submitting the proper documentation.

New Construction Forms & Information

Overview of NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit: Owners and operators of construction activity disturbing one acre or more of land need to obtain an NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.

Minnesota Energy Codes: New Minnesota Energy Codes became effective in June 2009. Some of the areas affected include radon, foundation insulation installation and efficiency, and mechanical equipment control.

Information Sheets

All projects listed below require a permit unless noted.

Return to full list >>