CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Outdoor Cafe Permit

Outdoor cafés are seating areas located on public sidewalks or plazas, adjacent to a permitted user in the Central Business Zone, where food and beverages are sold to customers. This permit is required to allow your business to operate a patio on the sidewalk to serve food and drinks to customers. Outdoor café permits cover a full year and must be reapproved on an annual basis.

Only permitted in the Central Business (B-3) Zoning District.

Applicant must provide a layout of the proposed café area which displays the outer boundaries of the outdoor café area and pictures of the proposed furnishings with an application.

Apply through ePermitsYou will be prompted to submit an Outdoor Cafe Encroachment Permit Application [PDF] during the process. 

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.