The Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for the review and management of development and redevelopment to ensure projects are orderly, efficient and of high standard. The division's main functions include:
- Preparing and implementing the city’s comprehensive plan, which serves as the city's vision for its future and long-range guide for development
- Administering city zoning ordinances
- Reviewing zoning and site design of current development projects
- Providing recommendations to the Planning Commission/Board of Adjustment and Appeals and City Council on land use issues
- Issuing sign permits
Planning & Zoning Applications
Requests for zoning changes, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions, site plans, plats, easement vacation and comprehensive plan amendments require review by the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council.
Outdoor Cafe Permit
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
Outdoor cafés are seating areas located on public sidewalks or plazas, adjacent to a permitted user in the Central Business Zone, where food and beverages are sold to customers. This permit is required to allow your business to operate a patio on the sidewalk to serve food and drinks to customers. Outdoor café permits cover a full year and must be reapproved on an annual basis.
Only permitted in the Central Business (B-3) Zoning District.
Applicant must provide a layout of the proposed café area which displays the outer boundaries of the outdoor café area and pictures of the proposed furnishings with an application.
Apply through ePermits. You will be prompted to submit an Outdoor Cafe Encroachment Permit Application [PDF] during the process.