CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center will reopen July 6. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Minor Subdivision

The minor subdivision process is an administrative process that does not require a public hearing. The city’s Department of Planning and Development, Public Works Department and Shakopee Public Utilities perform an administrative review. It can be used in the following situations, as described in City Code 150.08:
  • A platted, recorded lot is being split into a maximum of five lots
  • A maximum of five lots are being combined into four or fewer lots
  • Where common boundaries between lots are being located

However, the city planner may require the normal preliminary and final platting procedures for any reason, such as complexity or special circumstances.

When minor subdivisions are NOT Allowed:

In certain cases that meet the above criteria, the regular preliminary and final platting procedures must be followed. The Minor Subdivision process is NOT allowed in the following situations:

  • When the minor subdivision proposes the division of property zoned for commercial, industrial, business park or major recreation use.
  • Where the subdivision includes a change in existing streets, alleys, water, sanitary or storm sewer or other public improvements.
  • Where additional right-of-way needs to be dedicated, and the right-of-way has not previously been deeded to the city.
  • Where easements need to be changed for the subdivision, and the appropriate changes have not been made through vacation and/or deeding of easements to the city.
  • Where new streets, utilities or other public improvements will be needed other than to directly serve the lots created and to provide a direct connection to an existing and approved system.
  • Where the proposed minor subdivision involves unusual elements, policy decisions, that the planner determines to require detailed review.

Application Review

When it is determined the minor subdivision meets all city code requirements, the Department of Planning and Development will notify the applicant.

NOTE: Applicant will need to pay recording fee upon completion and review. Deeds must also be prepared and provided to the city at that time if applicable. 

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning Application [PDF] through ePlans.  All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.

Additional submittal requirements

Please use the minor subdivision application checklist [PDF] when submitting your appeal.

  • Completed appeal application and paid fee.
  • Complete legal description of the property, including evidence of ownership or an interest in the property.
  • Survey of lot or lots as they exist before the minor subdivision and a survey of the proposed lot or lots.
  • The developer shall submit proof that any additional easements required by the city have been granted, and that any conflicting easements have been vacated.
  • Other information as required by Department of Planning and Development staff.
Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.