CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities, including City Hall, are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center remains closed in accordance with state orders.  Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.

Minor Subdivision

The minor subdivision process is an administrative process that does not require a public hearing. The city’s Department of Planning and Development, Public Works Department and Shakopee Public Utilities perform an administrative review. It can be used in the following situations, as described in City Code 150.08:
  • A platted, recorded lot is being split into a maximum of five lots
  • A maximum of five lots are being combined into four or fewer lots
  • Where common boundaries between lots are being located

However, the city planner may require the normal preliminary and final platting procedures for any reason, such as complexity or special circumstances.

When minor subdivisions are NOT Allowed:

In certain cases that meet the above criteria, the regular preliminary and final platting procedures must be followed. The Minor Subdivision process is NOT allowed in the following situations:

  • When the minor subdivision proposes the division of property zoned for commercial, industrial, business park or major recreation use.
  • Where the subdivision includes a change in existing streets, alleys, water, sanitary or storm sewer or other public improvements.
  • Where additional right-of-way needs to be dedicated, and the right-of-way has not previously been deeded to the city.
  • Where easements need to be changed for the subdivision, and the appropriate changes have not been made through vacation and/or deeding of easements to the city.
  • Where new streets, utilities or other public improvements will be needed other than to directly serve the lots created and to provide a direct connection to an existing and approved system.
  • Where the proposed minor subdivision involves unusual elements, policy decisions, that the planner determines to require detailed review.

Application Review

When it is determined the minor subdivision meets all city code requirements, the Department of Planning and Development will notify the applicant.

NOTE: Applicant will need to pay recording fee upon completion and review. Deeds must also be prepared and provided to the city at that time if applicable. 

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning Application [PDF] through ePlans.  All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.

Additional submittal requirements

Please use the minor subdivision application checklist [PDF] when submitting your appeal.

  • Completed appeal application and paid fee.
  • Complete legal description of the property, including evidence of ownership or an interest in the property.
  • Survey of lot or lots as they exist before the minor subdivision and a survey of the proposed lot or lots.
  • The developer shall submit proof that any additional easements required by the city have been granted, and that any conflicting easements have been vacated.
  • Other information as required by Department of Planning and Development staff.
Return to full list >>

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at