The Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for the review and management of development and redevelopment to ensure projects are orderly, efficient and of high standard. The division's main functions include:
- Preparing and implementing the city’s comprehensive plan, which serves as the city's vision for its future and long-range guide for development
- Administering city zoning ordinances
- Reviewing zoning and site design of current development projects
- Providing recommendations to the Planning Commission/Board of Adjustment and Appeals and City Council on land use issues
- Issuing sign permits
Planning & Zoning Applications
Requests for zoning changes, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions, site plans, plats, easement vacation and comprehensive plan amendments require review by the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council.
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
- A platted, recorded lot is being split into a maximum of five lots
- A maximum of five lots are being combined into four or fewer lots
- Where common boundaries between lots are being located
However, the city planner may require the normal preliminary and final platting procedures for any reason, such as complexity or special circumstances.
When minor subdivisions are NOT Allowed:
In certain cases that meet the above criteria, the regular preliminary and final platting procedures must be followed. The Minor Subdivision process is NOT allowed in the following situations:
- When the minor subdivision proposes the division of property zoned for commercial, industrial, business park or major recreation use.
- Where the subdivision includes a change in existing streets, alleys, water, sanitary or storm sewer or other public improvements.
- Where additional right-of-way needs to be dedicated, and the right-of-way has not previously been deeded to the city.
- Where easements need to be changed for the subdivision, and the appropriate changes have not been made through vacation and/or deeding of easements to the city.
- Where new streets, utilities or other public improvements will be needed other than to directly serve the lots created and to provide a direct connection to an existing and approved system.
- Where the proposed minor subdivision involves unusual elements, policy decisions, that the planner determines to require detailed review.
When it is determined the minor subdivision meets all city code requirements, the Department of Planning and Development will notify the applicant.
NOTE: Applicant will need to pay recording fee upon completion and review. Deeds must also be prepared and provided to the city at that time if applicable.
Submitting an application
- Apply on our ePermits site.
- Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from email@example.com with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
- Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning Application [PDF] through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.
Additional submittal requirements
- Completed appeal application and paid fee.
- Complete legal description of the property, including evidence of ownership or an interest in the property.
- Survey of lot or lots as they exist before the minor subdivision and a survey of the proposed lot or lots.
- The developer shall submit proof that any additional easements required by the city have been granted, and that any conflicting easements have been vacated.
- Other information as required by Department of Planning and Development staff.