Peddlers, Solicitors & Transient Merchants
- Departments:City Clerk
- Divisions:Business Licenses
- Apply In Person Contact the City Clerk's Office to schedule an appointment
Peddlers, solicitors and transient merchants are defined as any person who:
- Peddler: goes door-to-door, street-to-street or place-to-place to sell and immediately deliver goods, wares, merchandise, or services transported with that person (e.g. ice cream truck)
- Solicitor: goes door-to-door, street-to-street or place-to-place (for commercial reasons) to obtain orders for goods, wares, merchandise, or services to deliver at a later time. (e.g. magazine sales)
- Transient Merchant: sets up a temporary and transient business in the city to sell goods, wares, or merchandise and occupies a building or lot to exhibit and sale wares (e.g. fireworks tent)
The city does not require a license for individuals or groups canvassing or soliciting for the purpose of charitable, religious, political or educational organizations if such an organization is registered with the Minnesota Secretary of State.
Solicitors and peddlers are limited to the hours of 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
HOW TO OBTAIN A LICENSE
Applicants should schedule an appointment with the City Clerk's Office prior to bringing in an application. Call 952-233-9300 and ask for Heidi or Lori to set up an appointment.
Peddlers and Transient Merchants
- Must obtain a city-issued license before selling in the community. It may take up to 10 days before a license is granted based on background check (fee applies; see Fee Schedule).
- Fill out the application below:
- Peddler-Transient Merchant [PDF] application
- Must register in person at city hall and show a government-issued license.
- Pay $50 fee
- Must obtain city-issued license before selling in the community. It may take up to 10 days before a license is granted based on background check (fee applies; see Fee Schedule).
- Fill out a Solicitor Registration [PDF] form
- Must register in person at city hall and show a government-issued ID.
- Pay $50 fee for background investigation
The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.
Business Licensing or Regulation
Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.
Food and Health Licenses
Charitable Gambling Licenses
Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.