CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Open Burning Permit

For fires larger than three feet by three feet, such as for burning piled wood or brush, an open burning permit must be filed with the city and a $40 fee must be paid upon permit approval. Burning permits are only issued for rural areas of the city or for areas in Jackson and Louisville Townships.

Burning Permit Application [PDF]

Submit permit application and fees to:

Shakopee Fire Department
2700 Vierling Drive E.
Shakopee, MN 55379

If you plan on conducting a prairie grass burn larger than one-half an acre, you must first apply for a permit from the Minnesota DNR. To contact DNR Forestry, call 952-826-6760.  You must provide a copy of the DNR permit when applying for a local burning permit. Permits are not issued for burns of less than one-half acre.

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.