CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Zoning Map and Text Amendments

A zoning amendment is a change authorized by the city either in the district boundaries (a map amendment) or a change in the regulations established in the zoning ordinance (a text amendment). All amendments must promote the public health, safety and welfare and must be consistent with the comprehensive plan adopted by the city.

In granting a zoning map or a zoning text amendment, the Planning Commission and/or City Council must find that one or more of the following criteria exist:

  • The original zoning ordinance is in error
  • Significant changes in community goals and policies have taken place
  • Significant changes in citywide or neighborhood development patterns have occurred
  • The comprehensive plan requires a different provision.

Additional criteria must be met for zoning amendments involving a floodplain overlay zone or a planned unit development. These criteria are listed in City Code 151.011(M).

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans.  All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.
Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.