The Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for the review and management of development and redevelopment to ensure projects are orderly, efficient and of high standard. The division's main functions include:
- Preparing and implementing the city’s comprehensive plan, which serves as the city's vision for its future and long-range guide for development
- Administering city zoning ordinances
- Reviewing zoning and site design of current development projects
- Providing recommendations to the Planning Commission/Board of Adjustment and Appeals and City Council on land use issues
- Issuing sign permits
Planning & Zoning Applications
Requests for zoning changes, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions, site plans, plats, easement vacation and comprehensive plan amendments require review by the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council.
Zoning Map and Text Amendments
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
A zoning amendment is a change authorized by the city either in the district boundaries (a map amendment) or a change in the regulations established in the zoning ordinance (a text amendment). All amendments must promote the public health, safety and welfare and must be consistent with the comprehensive plan adopted by the city.
In granting a zoning map or a zoning text amendment, the Planning Commission and/or City Council must find that one or more of the following criteria exist:
- The original zoning ordinance is in error
- Significant changes in community goals and policies have taken place
- Significant changes in citywide or neighborhood development patterns have occurred
- The comprehensive plan requires a different provision.
Additional criteria must be met for zoning amendments involving a floodplain overlay zone or a planned unit development. These criteria are listed in City Code 151.011, Subd. M.
Submitting an application
- Apply on our ePermits site.
- Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from email@example.com with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
- Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.