CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.


The Board of Adjustment and Appeals has jurisdiction over any variance which is not closely related to a land use application requiring consideration by the Planning Commission and City Council. Any variance which is closely related to such a land use application shall be under the jurisdiction of the Planning Commission and City Council.

A variance from the requirements of the zoning ordinance may be granted where the following circumstances are found to exist:

  • When the application for the variance establishes that there are practical difficulties in complying with the official control. Practical difficulties means the following:
    • The property owner proposes to use the property in a reasonable manner not permitted by an official control;
    • The plight of the landowner is due to circumstances unique to the property;
    • The circumstances were not created by the landowner;
    • The variance, if granted, will not alter the essential character of the locality; and
    • The problems extend beyond economic considerations. Economic considerations alone do not constitute practical difficulties.
  • It has been demonstrated that a variance as requested will be in harmony with the general purposes and intent of the chapter and when the variance as requested is consistent with the comprehensive plan.
  • The request is not for a use variance.
  • Conditions to be imposed by the Board of Adjustment and Appeals must be directly related to and must bear a rough proportionality to the impact created by the variance.
  • Variances in the Floodplain Overlay Zone also shall meet the following criteria listed in City Code 151.015.

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans.  All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.

Additional submittal requirements

  • Paid application fee and recording fee.
  • Evidence of ownership or an interest in the property.
  • A site plan at a scale large enough for clarity showing the following information:
    • Location and dimension
  • Such other information as may be required by the city.
  • The city will provide mailing labels for residents within 500 feet of project property. Applicant (except single family applications) will be expected to mail out notices and conduct a neighborhood meeting at least two weeks prior to a public hearing at City Council meeting. 

More information is available in the variance application information handout [PDF].

Variance Review Process

  1. Meet with city staff
  2. Application received by city
  3. Public hearing scheduled IF application is deemed complete by staff
  4. Staff and outside agencies review application
  5. Staff prepares memo and recommendation(s)
  6. Public hearing held at Board of Adjustment and Appeals
  7. Decision determined or tabled
Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.