CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center will reopen July 6. Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.


The Board of Adjustment and Appeals has jurisdiction over any variance which is not closely related to a land use application requiring consideration by the Planning Commission and City Council. Any variance which is closely related to such a land use application shall be under the jurisdiction of the Planning Commission and City Council.

A variance from the requirements of the zoning ordinance may be granted where the following circumstances are found to exist:

  • When the application for the variance establishes that there are practical difficulties in complying with the official control. Practical difficulties means the following:
    • The property owner proposes to use the property in a reasonable manner not permitted by an official control;
    • The plight of the landowner is due to circumstances unique to the property;
    • The circumstances were not created by the landowner;
    • The variance, if granted, will not alter the essential character of the locality; and
    • The problems extend beyond economic considerations. Economic considerations alone do not constitute practical difficulties.
  • It has been demonstrated that a variance as requested will be in harmony with the general purposes and intent of the chapter and when the variance as requested is consistent with the comprehensive plan.
  • The request is not for a use variance.
  • Conditions to be imposed by the Board of Adjustment and Appeals must be directly related to and must bear a rough proportionality to the impact created by the variance.
  • Variances in the Floodplain Overlay Zone also shall meet the following criteria listed in City Code 151.015.

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans.  All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.

Additional submittal requirements

  • Paid application fee and recording fee.
  • Evidence of ownership or an interest in the property.
  • A site plan at a scale large enough for clarity showing the following information:
    • Location and dimension
  • Such other information as may be required by the city.
  • The city will provide mailing labels for residents within 500 feet of project property. Applicant (except single family applications) will be expected to mail out notices and conduct a neighborhood meeting at least two weeks prior to a public hearing at City Council meeting. 

More information is available in the variance application information handout [PDF].

Variance Review Process

  1. Meet with city staff
  2. Application received by city
  3. Public hearing scheduled IF application is deemed complete by staff
  4. Staff and outside agencies review application
  5. Staff prepares memo and recommendation(s)
  6. Public hearing held at Board of Adjustment and Appeals
  7. Decision determined or tabled
Return to full list >>

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at