The Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for the review and management of development and redevelopment to ensure projects are orderly, efficient and of high standard. The division's main functions include:
- Preparing and implementing the city’s comprehensive plan, which serves as the city's vision for its future and long-range guide for development
- Administering city zoning ordinances
- Reviewing zoning and site design of current development projects
- Providing recommendations to the Planning Commission/Board of Adjustment and Appeals and City Council on land use issues
- Issuing sign permits
Planning & Zoning Applications
Requests for zoning changes, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions, site plans, plats, easement vacation and comprehensive plan amendments require review by the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council.
Vacation of Streets, Alleys and Easements
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
The vacation process requires a petition be received from the majority of the owners of the property abutting the property that is being proposed for vacation. The City Council may also initiate a vacation by the adoption of a resolution.
The resolution of vacation is recorded with the Scott County Recorder and the County Assessor by the City Clerk.
- If the property is torrens, the resolution cannot be recorded with the County Recorder. The property owners abutting the right-of-way being vacated must expand their titles by short court proceedings.
- If part of the property is abstract and part is torrens, two resolutions must be prepared: one describing the abstract property and one describing the torrens property. The one describing the abstract property can be recorded. The one describing the torrens property cannot be recorded, and the property owners must expand their titles by short court proceedings.
The City Clerk will calculate the appropriate recording fees. The filing fees must be paid prior to the recording of the vacation.
Submitting an application
- Apply on our ePermits site.
- Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from firstname.lastname@example.org with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
- Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.