CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities, including City Hall, are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center remains closed in accordance with state orders.  Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.

Preliminary Plat

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.

Additional submittal requirements

Submittal requirements, including information about drawings, are listed in City Code 150.12. The preliminary plat shall include the entire land area owned or controlled by the developer, unless the excluded land is of a size described as an optional subdivision under City Code 150.01(C)(2).

  • A completed application form
  • A general narrative description of the project
  • Fees as specified in the adopted city fee schedule
  • A description of any requested variances
  • A wetland delineation report when applicable
  • When applicable to the land being subdivided, the developer shall submit the following documentation:
    • Evidence that a county highway permit will be granted, if the site will have access to a county road
    • A landscape plan meeting the landscaping and tree preservation requirements of City Code 151.112-113
    • In rural service areas soil percolation tests, soil borings and sewage treatment design for two sites per proposed lot, conforming to the testing procedures of the city sewage disposal and treatment code.
  • All required drawings as specified below:
    • Drawing of the preliminary plat
    • Existing conditions map
    • Grading and erosion control plan
    • Street and utilities plan
    • Stormwater management plan
    • Other documentation as deemed appropriate or necessary by the planner.
Return to full list >>

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at