The Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for the review and management of development and redevelopment to ensure projects are orderly, efficient and of high standard. The division's main functions include:
- Preparing and implementing the city’s comprehensive plan, which serves as the city's vision for its future and long-range guide for development
- Administering city zoning ordinances
- Reviewing zoning and site design of current development projects
- Providing recommendations to the Planning Commission/Board of Adjustment and Appeals and City Council on land use issues
- Issuing sign permits
Planning & Zoning Applications
Requests for zoning changes, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions, site plans, plats, easement vacation and comprehensive plan amendments require review by the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council.
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
Submitting an application
- Apply on our ePermits site.
- Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from firstname.lastname@example.org with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
- Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.
Additional submittal requirements
Submittal requirements, including information about drawings, are listed in City Code 150.12. The preliminary plat shall include the entire land area owned or controlled by the developer, unless the excluded land is of a size described as an optional subdivision under City Code 150.01(C)(2).
- A completed application form
- A general narrative description of the project
- Fees as specified in the adopted city fee schedule
- A description of any requested variances
- A wetland delineation report when applicable
- When applicable to the land being subdivided, the developer shall submit the following documentation:
- Evidence that a county highway permit will be granted, if the site will have access to a county road
- A landscape plan meeting the landscaping and tree preservation requirements of City Code 151.112-113
- In rural service areas soil percolation tests, soil borings and sewage treatment design for two sites per proposed lot, conforming to the testing procedures of the city sewage disposal and treatment code.
- All required drawings as specified below:
- Drawing of the preliminary plat
- Existing conditions map
- Grading and erosion control plan
- Street and utilities plan
- Stormwater management plan
- Other documentation as deemed appropriate or necessary by the planner.