City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.
Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:
Choosing a Site
Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.
- Zoning map and code
- Contact the Planning & Zoning Division to discuss with you whether your project fits the city’s planning goals and zoning guidelines, as outlined in the 2040 Comprehensive Plan.
Meeting Design Standards
The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.
Developing your Site
If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.
- Application information is available below under "Planning Permits."
- Informational Handouts: Minor Subdivision, Conditional Use Permit, Planned Unit Development, Preliminary and Final Plats, etc…
- Developer’s Agreement [PDF]
Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.
Applying for Permits
Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.
Planned Unit Development Concept Review
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
Submitting an application
- Apply on our ePermits site.
- Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from firstname.lastname@example.org with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
- Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.
Additional submittal requirements
- Documentation, outcomes, etc., of neighborhood meeting held with residents within a 350-foot radius of the proposed PUD. The meeting must be held prior to the city conducting a concept review.
- Cover letter describing the project, any anticipated variations and how the project complies with the city’s comprehensive plan.
- Sketch of the project area, including approximate site size, proposed land uses and their approximate location within the site; surrounding land uses; existing and proposed public right-of-way; and unique, problematic, or desirable features of the site, such as wetlands or forests.
- Ownership of the property and identification of the developer.
- General description of how adverse impacts on other property will be mitigated.
- Other documentation and information as determined by city staff.
Tree Management and Landscaping
The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.
The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.
Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water
Water and Electric
Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at spucweb.com.
A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at www.xcelenergy.com.