CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. Find the latest updates at

Licenses & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City of Shakopee issues many different types of permits and licenses. While many can be purchased online, some require in-person application. Select your permit type for more information.

Planned Unit Development

According to City Code 151.048, the City Council shall base its decision to grant or deny an application for a planned unit development upon the following factors and shall adopt findings relative to these criteria:
  1. Whether the proposed development is consistent in all respects with the comprehensive plan and with this section;
  2. Whether the proposed development, including deviations from design standards of the underlying zones, is compatible with surrounding land uses;
  3. Whether the proposed development, including deviations from development standards of the underlying zone, provides adequate open space, circulation, parking, recreation, screening and landscaping;
  4. Whether the primary function of the PUD is to encourage development which will preserve and enhance the worthwhile, natural terrain characteristics and not force intense development to utilize all portions of a given site in order to arrive at the maximum density allowed. In evaluating each individual proposal, the recognition of this objective will be a basic consideration in granting approval or denial;
  5. Whether there exists an overall compatibility of land uses and overall appearance and compatibility of individual buildings to other site elements or to surrounding development. However, the architectural style of buildings shall not solely be a basis for denial or approval of a plan.
  6. Whether the proposed PUD plan would afford a greater general public benefit than would be realized under the underlying zoning district and/or general zoning provisions.

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans.  All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.

Additional submittal requirements

Return to full list >>

Driver's Licenses

The Scott County Customer Service Center, located at 400 Fourth Ave. W., Shakopee, provides driver’s license application and renewal, motor vehicle plates and title transactions, passport applications and renewal.

Business Licensing or Regulation

Currently the city does not license or regulate most businesses. For state or county licensing, contact the Minnesota Small Business Assistance Office at 651-556-8425.

Food and Health Licenses

If an individual business involves working with food, or if interested in obtaining a caterer's license, contact the Minnesota Department of Health.

Charitable Gambling Licenses

Contact the Gambling Control Board at 651-639-4072 for information.