CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center will reopen July 6. Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.

Planned Unit Development

According to City Code 151.048, the City Council shall base its decision to grant or deny an application for a planned unit development upon the following factors and shall adopt findings relative to these criteria:
  1. Whether the proposed development is consistent in all respects with the comprehensive plan and with this section;
  2. Whether the proposed development, including deviations from design standards of the underlying zones, is compatible with surrounding land uses;
  3. Whether the proposed development, including deviations from development standards of the underlying zone, provides adequate open space, circulation, parking, recreation, screening and landscaping;
  4. Whether the primary function of the PUD is to encourage development which will preserve and enhance the worthwhile, natural terrain characteristics and not force intense development to utilize all portions of a given site in order to arrive at the maximum density allowed. In evaluating each individual proposal, the recognition of this objective will be a basic consideration in granting approval or denial;
  5. Whether there exists an overall compatibility of land uses and overall appearance and compatibility of individual buildings to other site elements or to surrounding development. However, the architectural style of buildings shall not solely be a basis for denial or approval of a plan.
  6. Whether the proposed PUD plan would afford a greater general public benefit than would be realized under the underlying zoning district and/or general zoning provisions.

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans.  All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.

Additional submittal requirements

Return to full list >>

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at