CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities, including City Hall, are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center remains closed in accordance with state orders.  Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.

Home Occupations

A home occupation is defined as any gainful occupation or profession engaged in by the occupant of a dwelling when carried on within a dwelling unit or an accessory building. A home occupation may be a permitted accessory use if it complies with the minimum requirements of City Code 151.007(G):

  1. The activity does not involve the warehousing, except incidental storage of merchandise offered for sale in connection with the home occupation.
  2. The home occupation may be carried on by persons residing in the dwelling unit and not more than one employee who does not reside in the dwelling unit.
  3. Shall provide off-street parking for the employee.
  4. All material or equipment shall be stored within an enclosed structure.
  5. Objectionable noise, vibration, smoke, dust, electrical disturbances, odors, heat, glare or other nuisance factors shall not be discernible at the property line.
  6. The home occupation shall not create excessive automobile traffic within the neighborhood.
  7. Shall not have any receipt or delivery of merchandise, goods or supplies except through the United States mail, similar parcel delivery service, or personal vehicles not exceeding 1 ton.
  8. May have outside off-street parking of no more than one commercial vehicle or vehicle identified for business purposes, not to exceed 1-ton capacity which is used for both personal and business transportation. The vehicle shall be owned by and registered to an occupant of the property and parked in a screened location.
  9. Shall meet the zone’s off-street parking requirements for all vehicles.

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Home Occupation Application [PDF] through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.
Return to full list >>

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at