CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities, including City Hall, are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center remains closed in accordance with state orders.  Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.

Conditional Use Permit

A conditional use is a use that is generally permitted within a zoning district but requires special review and limitations because, if not carefully located or designed, it may have a detrimental impact on neighboring properties or the city. A conditional use permit may be granted only when the following findings are met:
  1. The use will not be injurious to the use and enjoyment of other property in the immediate vicinity for the purposes already permitted, nor substantially diminish and impair property values within the immediate vicinity;
  2. The establishment of the conditional use will not impede the normal and orderly development and improvement of surrounding vacant property for uses allowed in the area;
  3. Adequate utilities, access roads, drainage and other necessary facilities have been or will be provided;
  4. The use is consistent with the purposes of the zone in which the applicant intends to locate the proposed use
  5. The use is not in conflict with the comprehensive plan.

In granting a conditional use permit or altering an existing conditional use permit, the Board of Adjustment and Appeals or City Council may impose additional conditions to preserve the health, safety or welfare of the community or in order to implement the purposes of the zoning ordinance or the Comprehensive Plan. Additional criteria must be met for conditional uses within a floodplain overlay zone. These criteria are listed in City Code 151.011(M).

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.

Additional submittal requirements

  • The legal description of the property
  • A mailing label list will be provided by the city to the applicant to send out invites to neighboring properties within 600 feet to a neighborhood meeting to be held at least two weeks before a public hearing.
  • Applicant must provide a copy of neighborhood meeting notice and sign-in sheet prior to public hearing for hearing to be opened.
  • Evidence of ownership or an interest in the property
  • A plat or map of the property which shows, at a minimum, all lot lines, existing and proposed structures, driveways and parking spaces
  • Such other information may be required by the city. Examples include:
    • Landscaping plan
    • Screening plan
    • Lighting plan
    • Floor plan
    • Environmental information
    • Project narrative

A conditional use permit shall become void if it is not used within one year of the date of final action by the city. A conditional use permit shall expire if normal operation of the use has been discontinued for six or more months.

Return to full list >>

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at