CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are open to the public. The Shakopee Community Center will reopen July 6. Find the latest updates at

Construction Hours

City Code 130.45 restricts the hours of operations from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Contractors installing new road


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Looking to build or develop in Shakopee? Here is information you need to know:

Choosing a Site

Our Economic Development Division can assist with finding an appropriate site for your project.

Meeting Design Standards 

The Engineering Division will assist you in ensuring your project meets the city’s design criteria for new construction for street and utility improvements. City engineers review projects and set conditions for roads and utilities to ensure projects meet these design standards.

Developing your Site

If your project requires a conditional-use permit, our Planning Division can walk you through the process. New residential developments require preliminary and final plats.

Larger projects may also be invited to present preliminary plans at the city’s Development Review Committee (DRC) meetings. These are comprised of representatives from various city departments. The DRC typically meets Wednesday mornings. Please contact Planning Division staff to get on the agenda.

Applying for Permits

Most city permits can be purchased online through ePermits. The city also uses electronic plan review software.


Anyone can appeal the decision of city staff or the Board of Adjustment and Appeals. An appeal must be filed within seven days of the decision of city staff or 10 days of the decision of the Board of Adjustment and Appeals. There is a related fee. The process is described in detail in City Code 151.016.

Appeals from city staff decisions. Any person aggrieved by a decision of the zoning administrator or other person regarding the enforcement of this chapter may appeal to the Board of Adjustment and Appeals. The appeal shall specify what error allegedly was made in an order, requirement, decision or determination made by the zoning administrator or other person. The appeal shall be filed in writing within seven days of the date of the decisions. Upon request of an appeal, the zoning administrator shall schedule the matter for consideration by the Board. The Board shall have authority to affirm, modify, or reverse the decision of the Zoning Administrator or other person. This provision shall not apply in the case of a criminal prosecution for violation of the zoning chapter of the city code.

Appeals from Board of Adjustment and Appeals decision. Any person aggrieved by a decision of the Board of Adjustment and Appeals may appeal the decision to the City Council. The appeals must be submitted in writing to the zoning administrator within 10 days of the date of the decision and shall include a statement of the alleged errors or omissions of the Board. Upon appeal, the City Council shall consider the request within 90 days unless an extended period is agreed upon be the parties.

Construction during the appeal period. Any applicant who obtains a building permit and starts construction after the decision of the Board of Adjustment and Appeals, but prior to the termination of the appeal period, assumes the risk that the decision may be reversed upon appeal. When an appeal is received by the city, the applicant will be notified of the appeal and informed of the date of the City Council meeting at which it will be heard.

Submitting an application

  1. Apply on our ePermits site. 
  2. Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
  3. Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.

Additional submittal requirements

Please use the appeal application checklist [PDF] when submitting your appeal.

  • Completed appeal application and paid fee.
  • Cover letter describing the reasons for the request for an appeal and what kind of appeal is requested: City staff (to Board of Adjustment and Appeals) or Board of Adjustment and Appeals (to City Council).
  • Other information as required by planning staff.
Return to full list >>

Tree Management and Landscaping

 The city has established tree preservation regulations for residential and commercial development. If your project site has existing trees, it may be subject to these regulations. For more information, visit Tree Management for Developers.

The city has established landscaping requirements for all residential, commercial and industrial new construction.

Business Utilities

Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water

Water and Electric

Water and electric services within the City of Shakopee are municipally-owned but independently operated by Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU). You can find SPU applications on its website at

A portion of industrial land along County Road 101 in Shakopee receives electric service from Xcel Energy. See the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission’s Electric Utility Services Area map. Find more information about Xcel Energy’s services at