The Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for the review and management of development and redevelopment to ensure projects are orderly, efficient and of high standard. The division's main functions include:
- Preparing and implementing the city’s comprehensive plan, which serves as the city's vision for its future and long-range guide for development
- Administering city zoning ordinances
- Reviewing zoning and site design of current development projects
- Providing recommendations to the Planning Commission/Board of Adjustment and Appeals and City Council on land use issues
- Issuing sign permits
Planning & Zoning Applications
Requests for zoning changes, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions, site plans, plats, easement vacation and comprehensive plan amendments require review by the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council.
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
Anyone can appeal the decision of city staff or the Board of Adjustment and Appeals. An appeal must be filed within seven days of the decision of city staff or 10 days of the decision of the Board of Adjustment and Appeals. There is a related fee. The process is described in detail in City Code 151.016.
Appeals from city staff decisions. Any person aggrieved by a decision of the zoning administrator or other person regarding the enforcement of this chapter may appeal to the Board of Adjustment and Appeals. The appeal shall specify what error allegedly was made in an order, requirement, decision or determination made by the zoning administrator or other person. The appeal shall be filed in writing within seven days of the date of the decisions. Upon request of an appeal, the zoning administrator shall schedule the matter for consideration by the Board. The Board shall have authority to affirm, modify, or reverse the decision of the Zoning Administrator or other person. This provision shall not apply in the case of a criminal prosecution for violation of the zoning chapter of the city code.
Appeals from Board of Adjustment and Appeals decision. Any person aggrieved by a decision of the Board of Adjustment and Appeals may appeal the decision to the City Council. The appeals must be submitted in writing to the zoning administrator within 10 days of the date of the decision and shall include a statement of the alleged errors or omissions of the Board. Upon appeal, the City Council shall consider the request within 90 days unless an extended period is agreed upon be the parties.
Construction during the appeal period. Any applicant who obtains a building permit and starts construction after the decision of the Board of Adjustment and Appeals, but prior to the termination of the appeal period, assumes the risk that the decision may be reversed upon appeal. When an appeal is received by the city, the applicant will be notified of the appeal and informed of the date of the City Council meeting at which it will be heard.
Submitting an application
- Apply on our ePermits site.
- Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from email@example.com with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
- Upload the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.
Additional submittal requirements
Please use the appeal application checklist [PDF] when submitting your appeal.
- Completed appeal application and paid fee.
- Cover letter describing the reasons for the request for an appeal and what kind of appeal is requested: City staff (to Board of Adjustment and Appeals) or Board of Adjustment and Appeals (to City Council).
- Other information as required by planning staff.